I am taking a close look at memory, its production as well as dismantlement within one's lifetime, and its effects psychologically.
Essentially, I am looking at past, present, and future. The way physical objects and intangible ideas change, disappear, remain the same throughout our lives, i.e.; home essentials, childhood objects/toys, cars, styles of clothes, morals, mindsets, etc. I am trying to develop a collection of projects that convey different aspects and scenarios that may occur throughout one's life and the changes he or she may need to endure both physically and mentally. Like a lesson plan with a set amount of time, our lives and memories have a set amount of space for information, so, when something is new/replaced, something old gets removed?
1) I am most interested in the study that often, people make up events or completely remove events from their memories, but, are certain that is how things were. - When something is added into a set, something is replaced.
2) I am also interested in the notion that without the past, or introduction of new information, you cannot wish or hope for a future, or dream?
- ie: if you are so busy you are out hanging out with friends you are care free, you are happy, and then, 6pm hits, a friend asks, 'want some dinner?' you suddenly remember that you haven't eaten since 9am and you suddenly become emaciated. STARVING! your memory allows you to plan for the future. Old people don't always remember if they ate, so then they sometimes don't eat for fear they already have (important to know if they've eaten if they are diabetic or what have you)
- or in cultural anthropology a culture can stay the same for thousands of years like the bushmen, without changing because they accept life the exact way that it is everyone is equal and nothing changes past is the same as present and future. they don't expect, they don't dwell or become nostalgic, they just simply live....
3) I am finally curious about the delicate balance of nostalgia and dreams... and how we can position ourselves in between in the present, what it may look like physically.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.