My Current Car And Fragments of My Former Home
Inside My Dwelling, I Can See My Home So Far Away
A Bit of What I Lost:
- A fouton given to me by my step mom and my dad that we've had as far back as I can remember. From Halloween night pictures from '98 to nights in college with my first love as well as other various purposes it served.- A curling iron plated with 24k gold, a gift from my step mother, we used to hardly get along, it meant a lot to me.- A Family photograph from 1994, a photo of my mother I will NEVER be able to replace, a Family I will never physically have ever again.- Vintage photos of my mother and father in the late 80s (about my age now 20s)- A cheap black bookshelf from either target or IKEA, but, it was my late step uncle Eddie's once... and a few of his trinkets and statues, now lost to the trash.- two pieces of a bedroom set (Solid cherry I believe... an armoire and night stand) which to my understanding was a wedding gift to my father and mother.)- Every piece of my original negatives and prints (photography)- A couch, a coffee table, and an end table I worked my ass off for just so I could have my first living room.- Any piece of art I made in the last three years except my portfolio which I luckily kept in my vehicle.- letters from friends who studied abroad and some letters written from the heart by an old boyfriend who served in the army... Journals and diaries too.- Trinkets and keepsakes kept in the top drawer of my nightstand since I was 3 or 4 years old... including a lipgloss set with lip gloss set in and flavored as fruit, orange, grape, cherry, strawberry, peach, and maybe one more...There are many more things, things that I will never forget. Each held a memory inside of it, a visual reminder of a story to tell. But, I'm learning thats all that they were, visuals of memories that no one can truly take from me. Memories of my own life, that no object can truly stand for.
To Truly Make A Home:
you must be able to have nothing, but still surround yourself with the memories you hold dear and once kept in the physical objects.
- Family
- Love
- Security
- Safety
- Independence
- Freedom
- ExpressionI still have all this, just not physical reminders, none of these things are physical. The non-physical is much more descriptive, more relatable by a larger group, where the idea of home truly interconnects with everyone as these ideas become relative. The idea of calling a place home is truly poetic.
Home 002
So palpable
yet intangible.
Grand color manifests
not long after
an epic journey.
Traversing roads
looming with fog.
The greedy ground long
and consuming.
So deceivingly clear
this path on golden days.
Easy to drown,
easy for cries to escape sound.
Difficult to brave the risk,
difficult to survive the trek
time and time again.
Grand color manifests
not long after
an epic journey.
remind me to bring up what might be called "affectless" poetry associated with bad events. what comes first to mind if Heimrad Bäcker his Nachschrift (Transcript), English translation 2010. Derek Beaulieu, some essays in his short collection "Scene of the Crime" might be worth a look, and in general, some of the work that is loosely under the umbrella "conceptual writing."
ReplyDeleteas your work about home, things, places, memories, maybe identity, and probably other themes to come, progresses, lists/inventories might be usefully employed. certain kinds of drawings and paintings are lists, too.
perhaps ask others to make lists.
to be continued.
another, from another —
ReplyDeleteMy past is everything I failed to be.”
― Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet